For use in retail stores, restaurants, office buildings, and a wide range of other commercial buildings, the APR Control is an excellent enhancement for new and existing air conditioning systems. Widely diverse load conditions exist in all commercial structures. What most of these buildings have in common is the need for consistent comfort and a high level of dependability. Additionally, poor indoor air quality (IAQ) can lead to major headaches for a property owner and the occupants. The APR Control can meet the demands of commercial spaces in the following ways:
- Comfort: temperature and humidity control
- High ventilation demands
- Greater system dependability and availability
- Elimination or reduction of reheat for humidity control – allowing for reduced energy consumption and lower initial cost
- Year-around occupancy for reduced cooling demand during off-peak seasons as sun and other load factors change
- Capability to meet demand fluctuations caused by number of employees present, even if the system is installed to meet an original set of guidelines or idealized set of conditions
- Office buildings with variable air volume (VAV/VFD) systems (for localized control) facing problems arising from reduced airflow
The Rawal APR Control is currently being used by the following types of commercial customers:
- Retail space – One of the earliest applications for an APR Control was in a mall-based retail clothing store during the recession of 1991. The previous tenant had installed high-density lighting, but the new tenant had less square footage and a significantly reduced lighting load. The load calculations called for less than half the capacity of the existing air conditioning system. The APR Control was installed to help de-rate the system and allow for the airflow to be reduced to accommodate for the new duct system and space configuration.
- Meeting space – The most consistent problem with conference rooms is the issue of temporary occupancy. In many applications, the APR Control has helped modulate system capacity to match the often reduced conference room load, alleviating the short cycling and build-up in humidity that follows. Conference rooms in the Midwestern offices of Caterpillar were experiencing high humidity levels during low occupancy periods. The APR Control solved the problem by extending runtime while maintaining the system in a dehumidifying mode.
- Hotels – A central Florida hotel was experiencing high humidity that resulted in mold and mildew growth. This resulted in the replacement of wall coverings, bed spreads, carpeting, and other porous materials causing bad odors. The engineer called to investigate the problem, applied the APR Control, and tracked the performance results. The report compared a room with the APR Control and a room where the system had not been modified. The results were dramatic and can be seen by clicking here. The APR Control reduced average humidity levels so the mold and mildew could not grow.
Other commercial customers benefiting from the Rawal APR Control include:
- Low- and high-occupancy office buildings
- Data centers
- Computer rooms
- Fitness clubs
- Marine vessels